Who Can Claim Seafarer Earning Deduction?

Individuals who are residents in the United Kingdom and who are working in any capacity aboard a vessel are covered by this exemption. Whether it is as a captain, deckhand, stewardess, or superyacht crew on a cruise ship, or as security or an engineer on a boat in the anti-piracy or oil sectors, or even as a cook in the merchant navy. Everyone is eligible to claim the seafarers' earnings deduction. It allows them to deduct their earnings from their taxable income in the United Kingdom only if they qualify. Other international income and profits, on the other hand, will continue to be subject to UK taxation.

Eligibility Requirements for Deduction

In order for a seafarer to be eligible for the deduction, he or she must have worked for at least 365 consecutive days during the qualifying period. This period might include non-working days. Depending on the circumstances, this period may extend over more than one tax year.

If a superyacht crew carries out duties on a vessel when the journey or portion thereof starts or finishes outside the United Kingdom; we will consider these duties, outside the UK. The UK portion of the North Sea is part of the UK. In addition, each job must include at least one travel to a foreign port throughout the course of the tax year.

Duration of the Visit for Seafarer’s Claim

Visits to the UK must not exceed 183 consecutive days or one-half of the qualifying period; if the total part includes midnights as well. In the case of the latter, the time period implicated is from the first day of the period spent abroad to the final day of the period spent abroad after the last visit to the United Kingdom.

How SKATAX can help you?

We are a seafarer's tax advisors that provide merchant seamen and seafarers with solid income tax guidance. We have saved our customers literally millions of pounds in income tax throughout the course of our existence.

For over years, SK Accountants and Tax Consultants Ltd have been filing tax returns on behalf of sailors. By working with us, when it comes to dealing with your tax problems you will not have to wonder anymore, "Am I receiving everything I should get?" In addition, we deal with international laborers who are working on shore side in other countries rather than aboard ships. Our seafarer's tax advisors can provide you with all of the assistance you need. He will ensure that you meet the requirements for a non-residency claim.

Get In Touch With Us Today!

We hope you will find the material on this website to be useful. Please do not hesitate to contact us. We will let you know about your eligibility to receive your income tax refund. Call us or send us an email if you have any questions about your income tax obligations. In order to avoid wasting any more time, complete the relevant paperwork and submit them to us. And then we may begin investigating your case immediately.

Our Main Services


SK Accountants & Tax Consultants is one of the most professional and trusted Accounting Firms I ever dealt with in the UK. They are demonstrating a highly professional standards. Attending all inquiries on an immediate basis. Very Excellent customer service team and most importantly the unconditional care and support from the highly experienced accountants team. Thank you so much SK Accountants. I really recommend as the choice number one in United Kingdom

Abdul Rahman Abdul Majeed

Abdul Rahman Abdul Majeed
It has been a very friendly, reliable and a swift experience for me with SKATAX. They have been very professional & efficient throughout the whole process. I would 100% recommend this firm to all businesses. Thank you KS, you and your team is great 🙂

Azhar Khan

Azhar Khan
I have been with This company SK Accountant and Tax Consultant from last 5 years. They are very helpful in managing accounts and in consultancy. I definitely recommend everyone to use there services.

Chaudhry Amir

Chaudhry Amir
I have used SK accountants and tax consultancy services to deal with one of my tax issues which was very intense and required lots of diligent planning. I was so pleased that the SK team was so proactive in dealing with my case, and their work was so detailed, which helped HMRC understand my tax situation. I would recommend SK to all those looking for proactive tax consultants.

Danilov alexey

Danilov alexey
Positive: Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness I have received consultancy advice from Mohsin Zafar, who has been very professional and helpful and answered many questions that I had. His responses were swift and concise. I recommend this company for consultancy services, they are very knowledgeable

Elena Zekonyte

Elena Zekonyte

We are Bronze Champion Partners with Xero Advisors

SK Accountants is the ‘one-stop-shop’ accountancy &
tax centre, servicing the needs of local SMEs and taxpayers

Get In Touch

Get a Quote