Call me back

Do I need to do a tax return as a landlord?

We can call it as a Yes. But there are some exceptions you need to know:

If gross rental income is less than £10K a year, with net profits of £2500 or less a year and you are a PAYE, then you can opt for where you don’t have to register for self-assessment tax return with HM Revenue & Customs. But, if you want to do this, then display your identification through a declaration in writing to HM Revenue & Customs and request them to collect taxes through PAYE or Tax Code.


The above entry is for each individual, if you have a combined rental income of £19500 and net profits of £4,950 a year, it means each of you will have a gross income £9750 and net profits of £2,475 which means you will qualify to declare rental income through a declaration and without registering for self-assessment tax return.

You must report it on a Self-Assessment tax return if it’s £2,500 to £9,999 after allowable expenses, £10,000 or more before allowable expenses, or if you are as a professional accountant, we do advise to register and declare income through personal tax return and also contact HMRC if your income from property rental is less than £2,500 a year.